|Posted on 29 May, 2014 at 10:00||comments (2)|
SCAPE IS CO-SPONSORING THIS EVENT WITH THE TOWN OF WINNIPEG BEACH AS PART OF THE WINNIPEG BEACH CENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONS
|Posted on 20 May, 2014 at 0:30||comments (0)|
MINUTES OF SCAPE
MAY 6, 2014
PRESENT: Linda Bradley, Holly Cain, Tony Duchat (?), Pat Green, Paul Hammer, Susan Hammer, Marj Meisner, Ken Muracz, Wendy Muracz, Helma Rogge Rehders, Sherrill Ruckert
AGENDA: 1. Insurance
2. Business License
3. Scholarship for A. J. Smith
4. Grants Applications in process
5. Payment for SCAPE website
6. ARTSCAPE report: Helma
7. Space Rental for SCAPE Fall 2014, Spring 2015
Cost of insurance annually is $945.00. Of this, the ARTSCAPE group will pay $400.
Payments to be made in 3 installments: Initially $378.00. In 60 days--$283.50; in 120 days--$283.50
Linda moved that the motion passed on April 1, 2014, to purchase the insurance, be amended to the above. Helma seconded. Passed unanimously.
2. Business License
The City of Winnipeg Beach requires SCAPE to purchase a business license for an annual fee of $50. Current purchase will cover period from date of purchase to end of December, 2014. A new license must be purchased annually in January.
Sherrill so moved. Seconded by Pat. Passed unanimously.
3. Scholarship for A. J. Smith
The use of the scholarship by Abbie has been discontinued. Abbie received 3 concertina lessons from Susan Hammer from the Music Instruction Scholarship fund of $300 at a cost of $60.00. As per letter from Susan Hammer, A. J. Smith is requesting support for continuing instruction for 10 private lessons at $20/per lesson plus 8 ensemble classes at $5/class for the Spring Term. This will cover half the cost and the other half will be paid by the family. A.J. is a member of a band called the Bog Boys who have volunteered to play at the Beachscape Traditional Music and Arts Festival. Susan submitted her letter of request to SCAPE on April 30.
Pat moved that we award the sum of $240 to A.J. Smith from the Music Instruction Scholarship Fund. Helma seconded. Passed unanimously.
Since this award will deplete the fund to zero, there is a need to fund raise for the future. It was suggested that a 50-50 draw for this purpose could be held at the Beachscape event. Pat offered to organize.
Linda moved that Pat pursue the 50-50 draw fundraiser and that SCAPE would reimburse her for any license costs. Susan seconded. Passed unanimously.
4. Grants in Process
1) Susan has applied to the Manitoba Arts Council for an Artists in Community grant in the amount of $10,000 specifically for a concert series for fall 2014 and winter 2015 and for the Saturday night concert for Beachscape which will pay for the performer on Saturday night and the sound system. She will be notified in early June as to the decision.
2) Linda would like to apply to the Manitoba Community Services Council for a grant of $9,600 for help in covering rent for SCAPE for the next year.
Sherrill moved that Linda Bradley send a Grant application to the Manitoba Community Services Council in the amount of $9,600. Tony seconded. Passed unanimously.
All SCAPE members may bring forward grant applications for activities you want to offer through SCAPE. For example, Linda will be offering an Art Doodling class once a week for free. She could apply for a grant for supplies and or fees that could be donated to SCAPE. Linda has offered to help members who are interested. Members should preferably contact her by phone (204-651-1167) rather than by email.
Susan, Paul and Linda met with Peter Bjornson who will see what grants may be available. He recommended contact with Dave Cain to ask his help on working with grants now that the by-laws have been completed. We also need to develop a Business Plan, determine Membership Fees, etc. and Dave would be a good resource for these things as well.
5) Sherrill made a request that SCAPE assume responsibility for the website fees of $15.00 per month. She is donating the costs incurred so far. She will continue to pay the fees and submit an annual bill in January 2015 to cover the period of May-December.
Linda so moved. Helma seconded. Passed unanimously.
5. ARTSCAPE Storefront report by Helma.
Groups have been established to cover items such as signage, credit card use, setup and advertising. All participating artists have paid their fee
Will open June 1 as Hammer's move out. To be set us as a gallery without commission. A $500 deposit has been paid. Yvonne Dominik is doing the layout of the space. Susan suggested the advertising for ARTSCAPE AND BEACHSCAPE be combined. Sherrill requested a write-up for ARTSCAPE for the SCAPE website
6. Space Rental for SPACE for fall and winter. Not much response to proposed usage and fees. Brainstorming Session at Sherrill's on Saturday morning at 10. Pat, Tony, Susan, Berty, Linda, Pat Green, Helma possible participants.
Meeting adjourned at 12:10 pm.
Submitted by Sherrill Ruckert
|Posted on 26 March, 2014 at 11:00||comments (0)|
Meeting called to order at 11:00 am.
CHAIR: Susan Hammer
PRESENT: Heather Eyford, Pat Green, Paul Hammer, Susan Hammer, Amanda Mosher, Helma Rogge Rehders, Sherrill Ruckert
I. Minutes of February 4, 2014
II. Report from Steering Committee
III. New Business
IV: Fund Raising Proposal by Amanda Mosher
I. Minutes read and corrected as follows: Linda Bradley, not Bailey; Heather Eyford not Eyolfson. Spelling of Helma Rogge Rehders. Motion by Helma to accept as corrected. Seconded by Pat. Carried.
II. Report of Steering Committee by Sherrill. By-laws essentially completed as presented by Linda Bradley. Letter drafted by committee and sent to Ken Muracz thanking him for his support of SCAPE to date and requesting rental fees required for SCAPE to rent the space currently occupied by Hammer’s Music and the Otter’s Restaurant. Letter delivered to Ken on March 3 by Paul and Susan Hammer. Securing the rental fee will make it possible for SCAPE to go forward in creating the means to produce the fee and begin scheduling for programming.
The first Annual General Meeting will be held in October. At this time a slate of candidates for the Board of Directors will be presented by the current First Directors. The procedure for this activity is delineated in the by-laws aforementioned.
III. New Business:
1. Paul and Susan met with Ken on March 3 and presented the letter from the
Steering Committee. Ken responded with a proposed rental fee of $1500 per month with a 1-2 year lease to try it out. Lease to begin in September.
2. Helma presented a proposal that a group of artists numbering about 20 rent the
space for the months of June, July and August and set up a boutique.
Artists would not be required to be juried as for the Wave, but can include
any from the community who would be willing to share the rent and the
scheduling of the space. Arts events could also be created by this
collective for the space during these months. A Space Steering Committee
of Helma, Paul, Susan, Linda, Sherrill was struck. Cathy Sutton will be
invited to join. Proposed that the committee meet on Mondays at the Otter
3. Susan reported that Hammer’s Music will rent a smaller space in the Plaza for
that business and will not be sharing in the rental of the SCAPE space.
4. Programming: Susan reported that currently that Hammers Music and the
Otter Restaurant have been sponsoring weekly jam sessions, monthly
Folk Concerts and Dance Events. To date performers have largely been
volunteer or only receiving a small honorarium. It is part of the intention
of SCAPE that artists be paid proper fees. To this end, funding available
through the Manitoba Arts Council (which only funds professional artists)
is being considered. The deadline for a grant proposal for the Artists in
Community programme is March 25, 2014.
Susan hopes to have a festival of Canadian Roots music on June 14 of this
year. Susan and Paul met with Allen Sulyma to discuss possible
Co-sponsoring of this event with the Town of Winnipeg Beach.
Discussion of a possible grant through the Manitoba Provincial Arts
Branch that can cover up to a $2000 shortfall. Suggested the need for
A Grants Applications Steering Committee.
Grants Applications Steering Committee.
Of those present, Linda Pat, Paul, Susan and Helma expressed interest in being on the committee.
Susan acknowledged the explorations re the Regional Arts Council that
have been done by Linda and Raye Anderson to date. Helma discussed
the possibility of establishing a local branch of this Council. Also
mentioned was the need to further explore the possibilities proposed by
Amber of the Manitoba Lotteries Corporation (e.g., the Chase the Ace
Activity) now that SCAPE has by-laws. She also introduced a copy of the
Interlake E-News: Children and Youth opportunities, edited by
Bev Arden ([email protected]) as a resource.
IV. Fund-Raising Opportunity was presented by Amanda Mosher who operates a
Home-based business with Steeped Tea. SCAPE members would sell 12
types of tea and several types of infusers door-to-door. 40% of sales
would then be donated to SCAPE. Amanda stressed the simplicity of the
setup created by her company for doing this. It was suggested by the
others present that she bring her suggestion to the AGM in October.
The Meeting was adjourned at 12:30.
Submitted by Sherrill Ruckert
|Posted on 21 November, 2013 at 19:40||comments (1)|
MINUTES of Past Meetings
SCAPE Minutes 27 June 2013
Meeting called to order at 6:50 pm
In Attendance: Susan, Sherrill, Frank, Berty, Sonya, Linda
1) Minutes of the last meeting accepted as read
Moved by Susan. Seconded by Berty
Business arising from minutes:
2) Ideas for Mission Statement:
Strong communities are built by strong people. Strong communities nurture the body, mind and spirit of its members
Participation in the arts is important to the health and well-being of the individual
Necessities of life - Food, shelter, clean air and water, music, dance, beauty, self- expression
3) Sherrill will pursue the mission statement for next meeting
4) Meetings will now be held the last Wednesday of the month from 5:00 to 6:00 pm
Move by Berty. Seconded by Susan.
5) Berty will ask Don for update on gift certificates
6) Heima Group Homes - meeting next week
7) Berty will contact Lodge about concert there in fall
Sherrill and Gabriel Roth are hold a dance and art event in Matlock - proceeds to SCAPE
9) Susan will look into bank account at Noventis
10) Susan will chair next meeting
7:38 - Meeting adjourned.
MINUTES TO MEETING OF WEDNESDAY JULY 31ST
Meeting start: 5.05pm The original minutes were misplaced - these minutes are typed from Susan's notes
In Attendance: Deb, Georgie, Susan, Sonya, Frank, Linda, Abby, Sherrill.
1. Minutes of the last meeting accepted as read
2. Business arising from minutes: Sherrill made a correction to the Dance and Art Event in Matlock. The event was organized by Sherrill and Heather Sharpe (not Gabriel Roth as indicated in the minutes).
3. Sherrill presented ideas for mission statement leading to discussions.
A motion was made to accept the following as our mission statement:
"SCAPE will provide opportunity for individuals to access the arts in a safe and supportive environment regardless of physical, mental, economic or social challenges"
... Moved by Linda, seconded by Sherrill - unanimous
4. Don has indicated to Linda & Berty that the churches are pleased with the Irish Otter gift certificates towards meals for financially challenged local people. The suggestion was made not to have a specific date on the certificates. Churches will survey the community to assess needs and let us know.
5. Due to conflicting schedules Susan was unable to meet with assistant director of Heima homes regarding SCAPE programs with Heima residents. This discussion will be postponed until September.
6. Berty has not yet had a chance to discuss concerts or other programs with Winnipeg Beach Lodge. This will be pursued when time allows.
7. Sherrill's plan to raise money for SCAPE through a summer dance and music program was unsuccessful due to low enrolment. Sherrill was congratulated by the group on her efforts and it was decided to build on this idea for the future.
8. Susan contacted Noventis Winnipeg Beach to inquire about setting up a SCAPE bank account, and was given the name of the appropriate contact in Gimli. Sherrill volunteered to meet with the Gimli Noventis representative before the August meeting. Linda, Sherrill and Susan agreed to be the three signing officers.
9. Sherrill will check Vista (? my notes were incomplete on this - can be checked at Aug meeting).
10. Deb suggested ideas for PR - contact local schools, newspapers, have a logo contest open to people of all ages and abilities ( have many honourable mentions as well as prize winners), have an electronic/email newsletter ("E-SCAPE"), have a Facebook account. Deb volunteered to provide an honorarium towards the logo contest prize and to design a contest poster. Deb also volunteered to help do a Facebook page.
11. Sherrill volunteered to chair next meeting
Meeting end: 6:08pm
SCAPE MINUTES: December 3, 2013
Chair: Linda Bradley
Present: Sonya Aysen, Susan Hammer, Jeanne Gougeon, Dot Harapiak, Terry Harapiak, Frances McKinnon, Marge Meisner, Helma Rogge-Rehders, Sherrill Ruckert, Shelagh Russell, Don Winston
Meeting Called to Order: 11:07 am
Minutes Read: Helma moved that the minutes be accepted as read. Seconded by Shelagh. Approved
I. Finances: 1) current bank balance of $1,000.
2) Donation: $274 from Earthly Basic Community Coop (closing funds)
Also, movie camera, and printer currently in care of Paul Hammer.
3) Thank you card to Jim Farmer
II. Current Priorities: 1) Letters to Mennonite Central Committee (MCC),
Evergreen Basic Needs, Selkirk (??)—add to website (??)
2) Music instrument bank (fiddles, violins, etc.) possible
3) Acknowledge donation by Shelagh and Larry Scott to the
Scott Waschal Scholarship fund
4) Music & arts for children (3 kids) supported
III. Delivery of Services Ideas: 1) Shelagh suggested some form of payback for
2) Dot suggested Child & Adult Project using Jars
3) Jeanne suggested a once a week Story Time with
4) Sherrill suggested Improv Dance with Art/and
IV. Space Possibilities:
1) Future of Irish Otter as non-profit community gathering space discussion:
Linda suggested use of space for classes and as place for sharing food with donation of work time by various community members. Berty Jones to manage.
2)United Church: Don Winston suggested use of United Church for SCAPE activities during daytime with a trial period of 3 months. Don will draw up a rent-free agreement that includes use of restrooms.
V. Exploring Funding: Jeanne moved that we explore funding for SCAPE. Seconded by Dot. Motion passed.
Susan reported previous contacts:
1) Westshore Singers
2) Manitoba Arts Council for grants for concerts
3) Culture Days (Stan Boardmoc contact)
Discussion: Helma suggested that SCAPE may offer participation support at a variety of community venues. Exploration of creative use of space for SCAPE activities.
VI. Monthly SCAÞŒ benefit concerts
1) Possible concert in January, 2014-01-07
Meeting Adjourned: 12:20 pm
Next Meeting: January 11, 11am.
Submitted by: Sherrill Ruckert